Search This Blog

September 03, 2009

Where R They Now - Maia Campbell

Maia Campbell is best known for starring opposite LL Cool J in UPN's sitcom 'In the House' as Tiffany Warren. Since the show wrapped Maia has dealt with at least one trip to a Mental Hospital ending with a being diagnosed her as bipolar and schizophrenic. There was a video years back that I tried to find, to no avail, that showed her smoking crack from a straight-shooter, but I did find one of her on a trip singing topless.

I'm never the judge, so I can't be distracted by Maia's wild behavior. I know my own heart and remember how lost I was, so I just remember to include 'and all those lost' when I pray.
 
Maia is the daughter to Bebe Moore Campbell, author and playwright. Bebe passes away from complications related to brain cancer in April of 2008, and I don't think that Maia has properly mourned her mother because of her disorders. With the publication of her most recent novel, '72 Hour Hold' she also became an activist of sorts on mental-health issues. The novel, about bipolar disorder, was said to have been about her daughter Maia. Throughout her work, Ms. Campbell sought to counter prevailing stereotypes of black people as socially and economically marginal.

Based on the responses from people who've seen the video of her going off on a trip, I'm sure that someone like Debbie Allen or LL could reach out to her and get her the type of help that a person dealing with a mental disorder and an addiction needs. I don't want Tiffany Warren back, it'd be fine with me if she would stop getting high and video-taping it.

UPDATE...

Not sure if this dude is telling the truth, but beyond his infomercial he said he said Maia was begging for change for chips and a soda, and that he knew her from being 'down and out' in the hood.......

4 comments:

  1. You know that Maia and her mom had a strained relationship BEFORE the mental illness. Bebe Moore Campbell wasn't the best mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More:

    I'm a nosey gal, but I was very disturbed by this video. To be honest, I am mad at the guys for putting this out there. Not because Maia is a mentally ill, dope addict/low grade celeb, but b/c I don't enjoy watching people with addictions/illnesses exploited. That's too low even for me. I found nothing humorous about this video. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt that anyone laughed....better yet, I doubt the guys responsible laughed. But drunk people are funny. But we all know when to stop laughing.....like when things are not funny anymore.

    I agree - this is exploitation. Though I think this may be the ploy to get some real help for her. Seriously can you help her? I can't, but someone will. I feel for her though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's gone. Once somebody gets that deep into it, you literally have to yank'em offa the streets, kidnap style. She had so much goin' for her - what is it with sitcomers and drugs? Hollywood should be taking steps to provide these people a vehicle to transition into life beyond the sitcom set, cuz you can almost guarantee one or two of'em will go astray.

    ReplyDelete

Comments