Search This Blog

October 28, 2009

Good Hair



I haven't been scratching my scalp for the past few days so that when I lay this perm I won't burn my scalp. I am proudly saying that I perm my hair.


I perm my hair because an option of mine is to perm and flat iron my hair - that's my choice. I wasn't taught self-hate, I was taught love, I teach love. And my daughter, though having learned love, will likely one day perm her hair. It's just an option. But you know women (easily offended broads) take an offense to almost anything - and without seeing this movie by Christ Rock, 'Good Hair', feel Chris is attacking their choice of hairstyle (condemning them somehow). Get real.


Chris Rock should be praised for putting this progressive style of thinking center stage. Not many women know what chemicals are in these perms. Not many women care - or caring simply that it works. And I don't think any American woman knew for sure where the human hair actually came from. To see the faces of women (with weave actually in their hair) hear that that hair was sacrificed religiously by women who knew nothing about the weaves, wigs, profits, beauty supplies- that shit is priceless.

Because there is no defense. none. You can't say anything about how you were tricked - the package said it was human hair. Surely you knew the hair came off the head of a human - live or dead.

Having a tiny black princess in my household - I've decided - I'll take care of her hair in it's natural state. That means no perms - only shampoos, conditioners, oils, etc. I might hot comb or flat iron it though.

This decision is, by no means, a result of the movie by Chris Rock, but from a meditation. I thought deeply about the amount of Asian people servicing blacks in America and the fortune they are making, the whole industry of human hair and that fortune, about self-perspective, about what fools black women are for parading around each other celebrating their weaves, acrylic nails, tattoos, and name brand bullshit. Black women do all this junk for uncommitted men, flimsy friends, and hood credit. I'm just in a very pissed off place. I hate realizing I'm being made a fool of.

To think what the Asian ladies fixing nails are actually saying, and how when I visit the beauty supply store - I'm watched and not trusted immediatley. I understand that our cultures are drawn to each other, but I don't feel a two-way respect. We hardly communicate for that matter. Just recalling, i've only known of one store in my life where the Asian owners related to the customers - Kg Food Center at 7302 Tierwester. The fried fish places, the nail shops, and beauty supplies alone are enought to make anyone very wealthy. There should be some appreciation and thanks. This isn't the beginning of any personal racism against Asians, but this just isn't right. not right at all.
’At least you’re not black’: Asian Americans in U.S. race relations. By Elaine H. Kim

Good Hair huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments